Want an Academy of Fine Arts Account?
Steve’s breakdown: Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts need a neew CMO and the job description below. You know the drill and if you don’t call!
PHILADELPHIA, PA: The Chief Marketing Officer will report to the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. The Department of Marketing and Communications has responsibility for the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategic marketing plan aimed at utilizing a variety of media, both traditional and digital, to increase enrollment, visitors, and membership, as well as to increase auxiliary earned revenues including facility rentals and retail. PAFA has a multi-level mission, serving both the School and the Museum, and the Chief Marketing Officer will work to strengthen the position of all of the branches of PAFA and the institution overall. The Chief Marketing Officer will serve as the face of PAFA on many occasions.
Specific Responsibilities of the Chief Marketing Officer:
In collaboration with other members of senior management and the Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees, establish a cutting-edge brand strategy and marketing plan, including digital media, traditional marketing techniques, and public relations and communications to elevate the profile of PAFA’s School and Museum, and achieve institutional objectives in PAFA’s strategic plan.
- Develop and execute comprehensive short-term and long-term marketing plans and programs to support the growth in PAFA’s enrollment, contributed revenues, museum and event attendance, and earned revenue goals.
- Craft social media, marketing and messaging plans to serve individual department needs.
- Research and analyze current and prospective audiences and devise marketing strategies to deepen existing relationships and reach and develop new ones. Devise and implement an annual master marketing research plan that provides insight into exhibit offerings, visitation and membership drivers, pricing strategy and audience demographics.
- Enhance and evaluate PAFA’s brand identity and reputation regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key business, community, strategic and cultural partners.
- Serve as partner to other PAFA colleagues to ensure that marketing efforts are in synch with PAFA goals.
- Serve as liaison with outside organizations to develop marketing and promotional opportunities and actively attend events in the community.
- Oversee development and production of marketing, promotional and collateral materials.
- Measure results of marketing and promotional programs, and make data-driven decisions about how to invest PAFA’s marketing resources for maximum impact; conduct regular audits of marketing efforts to determine their effectiveness and to ensure that marketing expenditures are best aligned with museum priorities.
- Supervise a team of four professionals.
- Determine agencies and suppliers of record; negotiate contract terms, and conditions for service.
- Prepare departmental activity reports and present to senior management and Board of Trustees.
- Serve as the Senior Staff liaison to the Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Develop and manage the marketing departmental budget and participate collaboratively in the development of the institutional budget.
- Contribute positively and productively to the executive management team.
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years related experience in marketing, preferably in higher education, arts and culture, or related areas with multiple revenue streams.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strategic thinking, and innovation strategies.
- Proven experience in the marketing and support of enrollment management.
- Track record of developing and implementing a marketing strategy that targets a diverse audience base.
- Editorial experience in all forms of media.
- Experience with all forms of institutional publishing and communications.
- Experience supervising website and other digital content.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced organization with multiple stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial and independent while at the same time, deeply collaborative.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing demands and changing pace of priorities; comfortable dealing with all levels of PAFA staff.
- Financial skills appropriate for management of budget, financial projections and research purposes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Critical Competencies for Success
- Strong leadership experience in creating a strategic vision and setting direction for a Marketing and Communications function within an institution consisting of diverse audiences; ability to articulate this vision to diverse stakeholders.
- Track record of creating marketing strategies to drive increases in attendance and membership throughout the year; increase awareness of an institution’s programs and mission.
- Demonstrated ability to craft a marketing and messaging strategy that is directly tied to increased interest, applications and enrollment in a school setting.
- Experience positioning an organization both internally and externally and raising its profile, through various media, with its current constituents as well as with new ones.
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts accepts digital applications only. A complete application should include the following:
- Cover letter: Must include salary requirements
- Resume and/or CV
- Diversity Statement: one-page document explaining your experiences and commitments to diversity.
Applicants missing the requested information will not be considered.
When submitting your application online, please save your documents as Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF (.pdf) files.
To help us process your applications as efficiently as possible, please save your files with the following filename format.
- Cover Letter: LastName-FirstName-CoverLetter
- Resume/CV: LastName-FirstName-Resume-CV
- Diversity Statement: LastName-FirstName-Diversity Statement