New Business Gig @ Health & Wellness Ad Agency
Steve’s breakdown: In times like these, we think it’s important to spread the jobs around. Here’s one at AbelsonTaylor, Chicago
CHICAGO, IL: Do you love working in a fast-paced environment, being challenged, and having to think on your feet?
We are looking for a highly motivated, savvy, experienced agency professional that is looking to grow with our agency, helping manage our new business process and taking our pitch presentations to the next level. The ideal candidate is someone with the desire to partner with varying agency departments and thrive through team collaboration, all with an innate curiosity to uncover the pitch challenges and agency growth opportunities.
The Business Development Manager is responsible for coordinating and driving our agency efforts in pitching new business across a wide array of health and wellness categories, from initial research through to RFP delivery and full agency presentation. Within this role, you will not only ensure the strengths of our agency are leveraged and communicated in a pitch setting but also strive to elevate the level of interdepartmental collaboration throughout the pitch process. The Business Development Manager is responsible for alliance with our Account Management, Creative, Engagement Strategy, Planning, and Marketing Intelligence teams to pull-through the highest level of qualitative and quantitative market research insight throughout the pitch, and then ensure the team delivers masterful storytelling throughout pitch deliverables including all aspects of pitch theater.
They serve as a role model for their team by helping staff members grow and assuring a vibrant, cohesive staff. This includes being responsible for the efficient and effective execution of the pitch process and associated deliverables by the staff assigned to them, as well as fostering an agency culture and environment of new business excellence.
You will report directly to the Senior Director of Business Development and be part of a fun, inclusive team working to drive meaningful and sustainable growth for the agency.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Support the end-to-end development and delivery of new business pitches and presentations
- Fosters strong interdepartmental relationships and seeks ways to continually evolve pitch quality
- Provides agency and new business leadership in the pitch process including the following areas:
- Developing clear and focused intra-agency pitch brief/client background document
- Excellence and innovation in terms of pitch operations management to avoid logistics as a limiting factor in pitch execution and final deliverables
- Masterful storytelling around agency position and expertise, including oversight of the RFP and Case Study databases.
- Builds compelling pitch theater (e.g., insight videos) that achieve pitch objectives, by working in partnership with Account Planning and Account Management to create, to be responsible for the planning, execution and analysis of qualitative research.
- Ensuring the effective response to all RFI and RFP requests, whether by writing or by coordinating the writing of responses by agency thought leaders
- Serves as an extension of the pitch lead (VP, Account Director or SVP, Account Director) to ensure the smooth functioning of the pitch process to achieve the Account Team’s vision
- Manages pitch calendar, new business reporting database
- Creates and maintains case studies and case study and RFP databases, effectively serving as the institutional memory of AbelsonTaylor
- Pinpoints relevant industry news, trends and critical information related to the agency marketplace
- Oversees all aspects of employee lifecycle of the New Business team members, including the onboarding, training and development, administering reviews to the team and handling of all Human Resource issues
- Accepts responsibility for tracking and adhering to AbelsonTaylor’s PTO and all Human Resource policies
- All other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; an emphasis in communications, marketing and/or business administration preferred
- Preferably at least 6 years of prior experience in an advertising agency, particularly in new business development, account management, project management, agency operations and/or pitch process oversight, or relevant experience in consulting within the healthcare or marketing industry.
- A broad range of experience in a variety of business and industries is required as this individual will manage daily activities and understand sound strategic business insights across a broad range of disease state categories and market challenges.
- The ability to motivate and work seamlessly with colleagues across departments and areas of expertise, regardless of level of seniority or agency tenure.
- Experience managing teams of employees and growing junior employees
Since our beginning in 1981, AbelsonTaylor has remained singularly focused on brands that help people live healthier lives. We don’t design for sneakers, or beer, or cars. We are 100% focused on and passionate about health and wellness.
The goal is simple; create an environment where very different people with unique skill sets and diverse personalities work together toward a common goal. When the products you sell are ideas, strategies and relationships, your most important assets are your people, your people, and your people.
And we are Passionate about our People. It says so right in our Values, along with Cherish Creativity, Fearlessly Independent, Always Curious, and Teamwork. All of which support our Vision: Be the most sought after Health and Wellness agency
So how do we get there? AT has Core Competencies which define expectations of all employees:
– Conveys one’s thoughts written or verbally in an articulate, confident, and compelling manner that positively influences others to take action
Teamwork and Collaboration
– The ability to relate to others, work cooperatively and collaboratively while acting in ways that support the success of the overall team, and drawing out the positive potential of differences
– Takes personal responsibility for meeting commitments and ensures that results are achieved including that expectations are clear, priorities established, focus maintained and tough decisions addressed
– The orientation to keep in close touch with the needs and perspective of internal and external customers and the deep awareness of how these actions serve them while supporting the strategic Vison and Values
– The ongoing effort to learn from ones’ own experience and from others – not only to improve oneself but to do what is necessary to help the organization make significant positive changes in its results and overall performance
Creativity and Innovation
– The bright, intelligent, and agile ability to approach concepts and complexity comfortably and has a creative and innovative curiosity about our business and industry