Look who’s looking for a Business Development Manager
Steve’s breakdown: Here’s their job posting verbatim. Go Get’em Tiger!
LOS ANGELES, CA: WHAT WE NEED FROM EVERYONE:
- NEVER STOP LEARNING: Be intellectually curious. Be looking for your next challenge. The moment you stop learning, you stop growing.
- PULL NO PUNCHES: Be honest, be candid, cut the bullshit. We enthusiastically insist on dissent and diverse perspectives as a positive force in pursuit of the best. So, don’t hedge your point-of-view – say what you mean and mean what you say with clarity, conviction, and kindness.
- BE RESILIENT: Change happens – count on it. Let’s be honest, this is true for more than just your job. But it applies here every day. Whether it’s what we work on, how we work, or who we work with. Part of being happy here is being good with change.
- BE A DOER: Be a problem solver. Provide constructive solutions, take an actionable stance, and operationalize it. Trust that you were hired for a reason. Understand what you want to achieve and learn from this experience, and you will ultimately make this place more special.
- DO THE BRAVE THING: We are the disruption agency, after all. Do the thing that disrupts. That defies the status quo. That upends. That changes things.
- BE MORE HUMAN: Yes, this means you should approach with empathy, compassion, and openness. But it’s more than that. Being part of a human-centric culture means being your most authentic self. C\D gives you opportunities to explore what that is. Creativity and humanity are important qualities of our talent. We constantly examine how our actions back up what we have written on the outside. If we want humanity to be our thing, how do we get there?
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
The Business Development Manager will join a team that is hardworking, efficient, and influential. This role plays a key part in driving continued success and growth for Chiat\Day over the coming years. As we continue to grow, there is potential for this role to manage a Coordinator.
- You will be responsible for helping grow the agency’s roster of clients by supporting the Sr BD Manager and BD Director in the design and delivery of bespoke credentials presentations, RFPs/RFIs, and case studies. Your audiences will include new hires, TBWA partner agencies, prospective clients, and consultants.
- You will be responsible for updating and creating agency credential documents, fact sheets, and various decks.
- You will prepare submissions for Request For Proposals and Request For Information documents.
- You will manage and update the agency’s portfolio of written and video case studies.
- You will serve as the liaison between internal Account/Strategy/Creative leads and the Production department, providing strategic and creative direction, as well as project managing the process to ensure seamless delivery of case study materials.
- You will manage and support the team in the day-to-day operations of the agency’s new business pitches by:
- Developing overall pitch calendars/timelines
- Developing review schedules
- Assisting Creative Directors to ensure they are checking in with CCO on work/progress
- Managing collection of assets and final deck deliverables
- Establishing and overseeing pitch budgets with Senior Business Development Manager’s input & guidance
- Sorting meeting logistics, IT, travel (when this resumes post-COVID), etc.
- You will partner with the team on an on-going basis to input on the agency’s new business prospecting strategy and goals.
- You will conduct and track the research of new business prospects, client movement, industry leadership shifts, and agency competitors to inform prospecting strategies.
- You will manage files & track materials centered around outreach to prospective clients and partners.
- You will track and report on industry trends and news to ensure the agency remains on the pulse of culture and continues to offer value within the advertising and business marketplace. You will conduct competitive analysis, brand backgrounders, client bios, etc. This includes creating a quarterly one-sheeter with industry updates to circulate to Chiat leadership.
- Minimum of 3 years of agency experience in Account Management and/or Business Development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience with successfully managing multiple work streams simultaneously.
- A proven track record of being a trusted partner to the broader agency departments. Ability to directly manage a cross-functional team in pursuit of a unified goal.
- Strong experience with project management, intelligence gathering, distillation of ideas, presentation programs (Google Slides and Keynote), etc.
- Self-starter mentality, with experience leading tasks independently and the willingness to reach both up and down.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence – proven ability to conduct work in a confident and professional while maintaining composure under pressure.
- Excellent listening and analytical thinking skills.
- Sharp attention to detail.
- Strong business writing experience.
- Proven ability to think creatively and operate in a solutions-oriented mindset.